As we start 2016, it’s a common reflect on 2015 and to look forward to making 2016 the best year yet. Your 2016 should start off early and fast, if you want to make those six figures, land that dream job, give more of your time to charity, or whatever your goals may be.
Here’s ten rituals to start your year off right:
- Wake up early: You don’t have to start waking up at 6am everyday of the week. Start scaling your alarm back by 30 min each day until you reach a comfortable wakeup time.
- Drink water: Drink a glass of water as soon as you wakeup. After 6–10 hours without any liquid, you need to rehydrate and wake yourself up. Drinking water is a great way to kickstart your metabolism, especially when it’s ice cold.
- Affirm and review your goals and plan for the day: The New Year brings many resolutions, and along with those resolutions typically comes disappointment. Studies have shown that many who set these resolutions, also known as goals, never review them after they recite them around the 1st of the year! Affirming these goals every single morning will put you on a path to change your luck. Keeping your goals at bay in the mornings will motivate you to take action day by day until it becomes your new routine.
- Take a cold shower: Get a timer set it to 3 minutes and take a cold shower. It jolts your body and gets the blood following.
- Work out: Morning exercise jump starts your metabolism, and has been shown to regulate appetite throughout the day. Most importantly, morning exercise that occurs consistently at the same time adjusts your body’s endocrine system and circadian rhythms. This essentially tells your body a couple hours before the workout that it’s time to get up and prepare for exercise. The benefits include: making it MUCH easier to wake up, increased mental acuity, regulated blood pressure throughout your day, and much more. Some get a full workout in, others get 15 minutes of a walk, jog or simple exercise in. Take action and reap the benefits in a way that fits you and your schedule.
- Eat: Your body is your vessel here on earth. If you don’t fill it with solid nutrients in the AM then what do you expect to achieve in the PM? Many reach for coffee around 3 PM, when really you’re not caffeine deficient. You more than likely didn’t fuel yourself properly in the morning with enough water or good nutrients. Personally, I try to get quick complex carbs and protein rich foods. Check out 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris on more morning nutrient ideas.
- Meditate: Perhaps the most important part of my routine is clearing my mind so that I can gain focus for the day. I’m very new to meditation. I only added it to my daily life within the past 6 months.
- Read: Instead of watching tv or staring at your iPad read. Reading books about, personal growth, and business ideas inspires me in the beginning of my day and gets the creative juices flowing.
- Maintain a journal: Reflect on what you would like to accomplish for the day. A friend of mine recently mentioned how gratitude was a discipline, not a feeling. Maintaining a journal will help with this discipline. A journal is also a great place to affirm and write down your goals from number three!
- Connections: Making connections is an extremely important part of life. The old saying, connections make the world go round. It’s true. My goal is to make 2 new connections per-week and introduce one of my contacts to another contact who don’t know each other and could help and learn from each other.
In 2016, remember that your resolution doesn’t have to be a mark that you miss. It’s possible to achieve your goals with the correct mindset and more importantly process. These ten habits will kick off your day, week, month, and year to snowball into hopefully what will be your best one yet.